Hi all! First, thank you to all the players for the year for your support. I think the game has evolved into something I’m relatively happy with, and I want to start to solidify some of these changes into a new version of the game.
So first, here’s what we’re wiping:
- Character Names
- Character Wealth
Here’s what we’re keeping:
- Character Levels (2 chars per player can start the new campaign at an equal level)
Why wipe now?
Well, you guys earned the wipe when a wild magic sorcerer dropped a meteor on a nearby town and we rolled a 99 on a d100 to see how large the impact was. But unfortunately, I wasn’t quite ready with some of the playtesting to do a wipe then. We are now.
Here are some of the changes I’d like to roll out:
- small changes to downtime that will all benefit players
- small changes to available rumors. Rumors will be clearly marked as dungeon, exploration, or investigation.
- big changes to night watches. there will be a maximum of one encounter, but the encounter chance, and difficulty, will depend on environmental factors to be discovered later.
- big changes to wilderness travel. similar environmental factors as night watches. a level six party should very rarely encounter something on a road that could threaten them. lower level parties will meet small bands of goblins, bandits, etc.
- small changes to perception and stealth with regard to random encounters. you’ll have a wider birth to avoid these encounters entirely.
- big changes to rests. a long rest is a one-week period. a short rest is eight hours.
- changes to magic items and loot. you will have roughly twice as much of both.
- changes to schedules. instead of running a 9:30-2:30 and 3:00-8:00 game, we’ll run four games: 9:30-12:00, 12:30-3:00. 3:30-6:00. 6:30-9:00.
- changes to twitch. I think you’ll really like this one. I’m not going to reveal it yet, but Twitch will play a larger role in player rewards.
That’s about the long and short of it. New world, new monsters, new things and places to discover. More magical items, probably significantly less character death.
What’s happening between now and Jan 1?
- In The Phandalin Experience, we’ll start to explore some darker themes as the world creeps towards its end.
- We’ll take most of the month of December off. You’ll all be doing family stuff anyway.
- We’ll do one giant send-off game sometime in early December, and one giant kick-off game sometime in early January.
Little spoiler/hype for you here: